SmartBlocks adding a new dimension to Roam, making it a programmable note-taking tool for networked thought.
Table of contents
SmartBlocks makes it easy to reuse text in a dynamic way in Roam. It can be compared to other snippet/template insertion tools like TextExpander and Alfred. However, SmartBlocks completely lives in your Roam graph and can smartly interact with your graph. All SmartBlocks workflows are defined in the graph and are performed in your graph. SmartBlocks are made of the following key components:
Trigger: is the keystrokes you type so that the workflow is run.
Getting started video series by R.J Nestor
Other Useful videos
To learn how to build and use SmartBlocks, the flowing steps are recommended.
If you're a beginner, or your workflows requirements are basic then steps 1 - 3 may be all you need.
If your workflow requirements are more complex, or if you're a developer, then continue with steps 4 through 9.
- Master the components of a command
- Learn how to initiate your workflow
- Start with a predefined workflows
- Define your personalized workflow
- Enhance your command knowledge
- Understand command processing order
- Experiment with alternative methods
- Customize your Smartblock Trigger
There is an active community at roamresearch.slack.com channels
#roam-js. Stop by if you need help or want to share your ideas.